Job Listings and Information
All job postings must include a closing date and an e-mail contact. If the posting has no closing date, it will remain posted for a maximum of 45 days. Submitted material may be edited to fit. Submit a job posting: Employment
Click here to see In-State Employment Opportunities
Click here to see Out-of-State Employment Opportunities
Environmental Analyst – Wilton, CT
Post date: 10/17/2016
Close Date: Open until filled
Summary: Town of Wilton seeks Environmental Analyst, to work under the immediate supervision of the Director of Environmental Affairs. Functions include reviewing permit applications and analyzing activities and land development for natural resource impacts. See full description here.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science or related field and at least one year’s experience in natural resource management;
- Proficiency in word processing and database software;
- Proficiency in ESRI ArcGIS software;
- A valid driver’s license;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply principles, concepts, and practices governing inland wetlands, watercourses, open space uses and values, and natural resources;
- Ability to interpret and apply Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, and standards relating to the environment;
- See full description here.
Salary & Benefits: Starting salary range mid $58,110 to $63,869 DOQ. Excellent benefits package. Position will remain open until filled. EOE.
To Apply: Please submit application, resume, and cover letter to Director, Human Resources, Labor Relations, and Administrative Services, Town of Wilton, 238 Danbury Road, Wilton, CT 06897. Application and job description located at www.wiltonct.org or call 203/563-0100.
Bureau Chief – Transportation, Traffic and Parking – Stamford, CT
Post date: 10/12/2016
Close Date: 11/18/2016
Summary: The City of Stamford is seeking a highly motivated and experienced professional to manage and direct all matters pertaining to the traffic functions of the City, in accordance with the City Charter. The Bureau Chief will be the head of the Transportation, Traffic & Parking Bureau and shall be responsible for the analysis, planning, execution and administration of plans and programs for the City’s transportation functions. The Director of Operations shall appoint the Bureau Chief, Transportation, Traffic & Parking.
Candidates must possess exceptional skills in the planning and coordination of transportation construction projects and in the development of municipal construction projects. Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices used in the preparation and exploration of plans and specifications is essential, as is the ability to communicate clearly and effectively verbally and in writing. Must have solid leadership, management and decision-making skills.
Minimum Training & Experience Required: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering/Traffic and Transportation planning or a Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Municipal Planning, Urban Planning and seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in traffic and transportation engineering and/or transportation planning including at least four (4) years of managerial experience. A Master’s degree in the educational areas listed above may be substituted for one (1) year’s work experience. Familiarity with current Federal Transportation and Clean Air legislation.
Please be advised that the successful candidate will be required to submit to a physical examination, a drug screening and a comprehensive background check prior to appointment.
Salary: $118,656 – $142,387
To Apply: If interested in applying, please send a letter of intent and resume by Friday, November 18, 2016 to: Ms. Rosemarie Frager, Human Resources Division, City of Stamford, P.O. Box 10152 Stamford, CT 06904-2152; Phone: (203) 977-4068; FAX: (203) 977-4075
Transportation Chief of Maintenance and Highway operations – State of CT
Post date: 10/4/2016
Close Date: 10/28/2016
Summary: The Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) seeks highly qualified, senior level candidates for the position of Bureau Chief for Highway Operations and Maintenance (Transportation Chief of Maintenance and Highway Operations). This is one of five bureaus within the Department of Transportation. The Bureau Chief reports to the Transportation Commissioner and/or designee. The Department is a dynamic agency with a growing mission in highway and bridge operations; maintenance and design; construction; public transportation and policy and planning.
Full specifications are available at http://das.ct.gov/HR/JobspecNew/JobDetail.asp?FCC=4506
Qualifications: Twelve (12) years of professional experience in the administration of large scale maintenance or highway operations programs and activities. Three (3) years of General Experience must have been in a managerial capacity. Substitution Allowed:
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equaling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor’s degree.
2. A Master’s degree in public or business administration or a closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
Salary & Benefits: MP 75, minimum salary $128,502 annually
To Apply: Interested and qualified candidates who meet the above experience requirements must submit a letter of interest, resume, and CT-HR12 application form (CT-HR12), no later than Friday, October 28, 2016 to:
Department of Transportation
1107 Cromwell Avenue
Rocky Hill, CT 06067
Diane Tyc, Principal Human Resources Specialist
Town Planner/Zoning Inspector – New Canaan
Post date: 9/26/2016
Close Date: Open until filled
Summary: The Town of New Canaan is seeking to hire a full time Town Planner/Zoning Inspector to plan, organize, conduct and supervise a planning and development program for the community. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, guiding the implementation of the Plan of Conservation and Development, interpreting and enforcing rules and regulations of the Planning & Zoning Commission, staff liaison to the Zoning Board of Appeals and Conservation Commission. The Town Planner/Zoning Inspector is required to exercise considerable independent judgment in administering and managing the town’s planning and development process and is responsible for maintaining and improving upon the efficiency and effectiveness of all areas under their direction and control.
Additional duties include, but are not limited to: preparation of regulation amendments, oversight of consultants related to complex application review, oversight of consultants in the preparation of planning studies, management and supervision of the town’s GIS.
Qualifications: Master’s degree in Planning, Community Development or related degree from an accredited college or program, seven years of experience in planning or community development and over three years of supervisory experience of planning and zoning staff. AICP (American Institute of Certified Planners) Certification preferred. The candidate must also possess strong communications skills and must be able to make public presentations and present to town bodies, such as the Board of Selectman and Town Council. In addition, the candidate is expected to interact and communicate with professionals in such fields as law, engineering, architecture and surveying. Grant writing experience a plus.
To Apply: Background investigation, employment reference check and pre-employment physical required. Equal opportunity employer. Complete the online application which can be found at www.newcanaan.info under Job Opportunities and attach a cover letter and resume with at least three references. The position will be filled as soon as a qualified candidate is selected. Salary is dependent on qualifications.
Special Projects Coordinator – Cape Cod Commission, Barnstable, MA
Post date: 10/21/2016
Close Date: 11/8/2016
Summary: Work with staff and stakeholders on a variety of planning and technical projects, particularly those related to wastewater infrastructure policy, planning and public finance. Ability to manage projects, plan, organize, analyze problems, formulate recommendations, and prepare reports. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of public and private groups including elected officials. Knowledge of GIS and other mapping programs, database skills, ability to review and analyze technical scientific reports preferred.
Qualifications: Requires superior communication, organization and computer skills, independent judgment, initiative and attention to detail. Bachelor’s degree in public administration, communications, urban or regional planning, environmental science or related field plus three years of experience at the local, regional or state level; master’s degree preferred; combination of private and public sector experience desirable.
See www.capecodcommission.org for more information and complete job description.
Send resume by November 8, 2016 to Human Resources, PO Box 427, Barnstable, MA 02630 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
No Phone Calls Please/EOE
Mid-Level Planner – Laberge Group, Albany, NY
Post date: 10/20/2016
Close Date: Posted until filled
Summary: Laberge Group based in Albany, New York has an exciting opportunity for a motivated and talented mid-level planner. This individual will work collaboratively with our team to prepare and assist in the preparation of:
- Comprehensive & Master Plans
- Zoning Regulations & Land Use Ordinances
- Planning & Zoning Review
- Shared Services, Consolidation, and Dissolution Studies
- Brownfield Opportunity Area Plans
- Open Space/Recreation Plans
- Environmental Assessments (SEQR/NEPA)
- Community Development Strategic Plans
- Main Street & Downtown Revitalization Plans
- Waterfront Revitalization Plans
- Economic Development Plans
- Grant Writing, Administration and Management
The preferred individual will have significant experience in zoning, the local land use approval process, and shall possess the skills to take a lead role in managing tasks. We are looking for a planner who can communicate (written and verbally), has a strong technical aptitude, and enjoys working in a collaborative environment.
- Bachelors in planning or related field required; Masters and AICP preferred.
- Six (6) years’ experience.
- Must be a skilled public presenter.
- Proficient with zoning and land use codes; form based code experience preferred.
- Excellent technical writing and computer skills are required.
- Must be accomplished in the management of multiple projects with excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, Word and Excel required
- Experience using state of the art techniques to complex assignments using ESRI ArcGIS software, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and/or Publisher preferred.
To Apply: Interested candidates must submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: Laberge Group, 4 Computer Dr. Albany, NY or e-mail email@example.com.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Laberge Group, an Equal Opportunity Employer, has provided quality Engineering, Survey, Planning and Architectural services to government and private sector clients throughout New York for over 50 years. Visit our website at www.LabergeGroup.com
Senior Planner – Buffalo, NY
Post date: 10/10/2016
Close Date: 10/28/16
Summary: Assists in developing comprehensive land use plans and site and development designs. Assists in monitoring land use and development activities affecting defined study area. Applies appropriate land use regulations, design controls, historic preservation, urban renewal and environmental laws and coastal management regulations in the development and review of plans. Performs related duties as required. Full description and qualifications here.
Salary & Benefits: $51,009 – $58,684. Salaries are subject to change and may vary according to Department.
To Apply: You may complete and submit your application online at the City of Buffalo website. Click the “APPLY HERE” link and follow the instructions. A non-refundable application processing fee of $15.00 must accompany your application. Check, cash, or money order.
Zoning Official – Westerly, RI
Post date: 10/3/2016
Close Date: 10/31/16
Summary: The Zoning Office manages the permitting of all applications for Zoning Certificates, Sign Permits, and Commercial Parking Lots, as well as the processing of Dimensional Modifications and Zoning Board of Review Applications. We provide Staff support to the Zoning Board of Review and also assist in the registration of businesses with the Town (Certificates of Ownership). The Zoning Official’s primary responsibility is the review applications for compliance with the Town’s Zoning Ordinance.
The Zoning Division of the Department of Development Services is comprised of 2 staff. The Zoning Official and the Clerk.
Reporting to the Director of Development Services, this position overseeing compliance with all zoning applications, submittals, tracking and approvals. This position is also responsible for providing oversight and enforcement of zoning related violations which includes issuing notices of violations, assessment of fines, and referrals to appropriate court.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate is a professional who is open, honest, of strong moral character, promotes transparency, and has excellent interpersonal and communication skills. The ideal candidate must have the ability to analyze problems, identify solutions, make recommendations, encourage a creative, balanced approach to solving challenges – the ideal candidate asks how we can, not why we can’t.
Qualifications: Candidates must:
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
- Have extensive knowledge in the principles and practices of zoning and three (3) years of experience in interpretation of zoning ordinances and detailed analysis of ordinances, development proposals, proffers, civil penalty processing, site plan review and policy analysis.
- Possession of Zoning Inspector Certification by the International Code Council is desired and will be required within one year of hire.
- Have expert knowledge in zoning concepts and practices.
- Expert knowledge in Rhode Island (or other State) regulations, laws, practices and procedures in zoning.
- Have a record of innovation, addressing policy issues creatively and with an entrepreneurial spirit, and with a view toward synergies with other departments and stakeholders.
- Process strong presentation skills with the ability to convey complex and technical information to elected officials, stakeholder groups, and Town staff.
- Be an effective communicator, orally and in writing, and possess strong negotiation skills.
Salary & Benefits: The salary for this non-exempt at will position will be between $25.64 – $30.77 per hour, dependent upon qualifications. This is an hourly position where adjustments in the weekly work schedule will be required due to late night meetings with the Zoning Board. Additionally, the selected candidate will enjoy excellent benefits including vacation, medical insurance, life insurance, paid holidays, and retirement benefits. The Town currently contributes 10% of salary (with a 6% match) to a 401(a) retirement plan.
To Apply: Interested candidates should apply by October 31, 2016. Electronic submittals are required and can be sent to HR@westerly.org and should include the following:
- Compelling cover letter
- Comprehensive resume
- Expected salary range
Community Design Manager – Cape Cod Commission, MA
Post date: 9/29/2016
Close Date: Open until filled
Summary: Work collaboratively with municipal, regional officials and staff in providing comprehensive community design, graphic design and visualization products and services and in the development of new regional tools for engaging the community in regional issues. Leads, oversees and participates in multi-disciplinary team projects to address regional and local issues around growth, housing, land use and the environment.
Qualifications: Requires superior communication and organizational skills, ability to manage multiple projects and interdisciplinary teams and working knowledge of land-use planning and graphic design techniques and related software including graphic design, GIS, modeling and rendering software.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in planning, urban design, environmental science/design, or related field and five years of experience in land-use planning, or design-related field; three or more years of experience should be in long-range planning or regional planning or management capacity; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Salary & Benefits: $74,607/yr. See complete job description at www.capecodcommission.org
To Apply: Send resume to Human Resources, P.O. Box 427, Barnstable, MA 02630 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled. No phone calls please.
Transportation Planner – Cape Cod Commission, MA
Post date: 9/29/2016
Close Date: Open until filled
Summary: Work collaboratively on a variety of transportation related projects. Determine data collection requirements and methodology, conduct field work, collect and analyze data utilizing GIS, AutoCAD and transportation modeling software and prepare reports and presentations.
Requirements: Requires superior communication, analytical, quantitative and organizational skills; knowledge of transportation planning principles and practices, relevant land use planning, economic, sociological and environmental impacts of traffic and transportation projects.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in transportation planning, engineering, land use planning or related and one year of experience, including experience in analytical techniques. Master’s Degree preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Salary & Benefits: $61,380/year. See complete job description at www.capecodcommission.org
To Apply: Send resume to Human Resources, P.O. Box 427, Barnstable, MA 02630 or email email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Facilities Planner – Newport Naval Station, RI
Post date: 9/27/2016
Close Date: Open until filled
Summary: The Facilities Planner (FP) will be assigned to the NAVFAC Mid-Atlantic, Asset Management (AM) Business Line. This will be in direct support of the execution of the standard NAVFAC Planning Products & Services, which shall include, but not be limited to the following:
- Installation Plans & Studies – This includes plans that are at or within the installation level that address both the Land Use and Capital Investment requirements. Examples are: Capital Improvement Plans and Recapitalization Plans, Installation Appearance Plan (IAP), Antiterrorism/Force Protection (ATFP) Plans, Master Plans, Land Use Development Plans, Shore Capability Area (SCA) studies, and Special planning studies that cover this area are also included.
- Basic Facility Requirements (BFR) and Facility Planning Document (FPD) Preparation – Preparation of Basic Facility Requirements (BFRs) and Facility Planning Documents (FPDs) for significant efforts (fence-to-fence, functional, etc.) or to meet 20% update requirement, as well as for Platform BFRs. This effort includes updating BFRs, and FPDs in iNFADS.
- See full description here.
- Bachelor Degree in Community Planning or Engineering/Architecture
- 4 years’ experience in planning, related area, prefer planning at a shipyard
- Valid Driver’s License
- See preferred experience here.
Salary & Benefits: Exempt Position – Salaried, 40+ hours/week.
To Apply: Candidates must be US Citizens, due to requirement to access military installations and data systems. Candidates must be willing to submit to an extensive background check and drug screen.
Send resume and supporting documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org